Molly’s Current Favs
On my restaurant rounds lately, I’ve sampled a few dishes that stand out from the crowd. And they are not always the house specialty. Sometimes it’s a side dish or a salad dressing that registers on my taste meter.
I’ve returned to City Kitchen a couple of times for the fish tacos. Made with jerk-seasoned mahi-mahi dressed up with guacamole, house made salsa and cabbage slaw on soft tortillas, they are on the bar menu at the Grosse Pointe spot that just celebrated its tenth anniversary.
Some other recent palate-pleasers:
· Garlic bread at Mi Lindo San Blas, the Mexican seafood spot at 1807 Livernois in Detroit, yes, garlic bread in a Mexican restaurant!
· Lobster rolls at Mike’s on the Water in St. Clair Shores, and this one is the house specialty.
· Pizza on wonderfully thin crust from the 1,000 degree oven topped with pepperoni, garlic, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes and two cheeses at Pop’s for Italianin Ferndale.
· Arugula and watercress salad in a subtle citronette dressing at La Rondinellaat the Eastern Market.
· Hot and sour soup at Bangkok 96 in Dearborn.
· Rosemary frites with truffle salt from the new small plates menu at Wolfgang Puck Pizzeria & Cucina at the MGM Detroit casino.
– Molly Abraham